MARRIOTT, RITZ CARLTON, WYNDHAM, BEST WESTERN, HOLIDAY INN are the “chain” hotels.
All other hotels are local.
WE HAVE A SHORTAGE OF HOTEL ROOMS ON THE ISLAND. There is no way around it. Small island, lots of people, stiff cancellation policies. For your sake, let us make your hotel arrangements early.
All TAXI’S CHARGE PER PERSON. Taxi’s here are large 7-9 person vans. There are no meters. You should ask the price before you go. If you call a taxi to pick you up, that is referred to as a “private taxi” and will be much more expensive (hotel to restaurant about $10-$15 pp, one end of island to the other about $65 pp). If you hail a taxi or take one from a hotel, it will be significantly cheaper as the taxi will feel free to stop for other passengers and is not considered “private”.
Local customs dictates that you say “GOOD MORNING”, “GOOD AFTERNOON” or “GOOD EVENING” before you say anything else. This is a very, very serious matter here. You will enjoy our area and your stay much more if you practice these simple manners. Otherwise, you will be viewed as a rude and impatient tourist.
We use UNITED STATES CURRENCY. All major credit cards are accepted virtually everywhere.
- We NEVER CHANGE OUR CLOCKS! Make sure the arrival and departure times you give us are specified as “Zulu”, or “Local” if you have done the conversion. Simply put, double check all times, in Winter, we are 1hour ahead of New York.
- We have standard issue American cars with the driving wheel on the left, but we also DRIVE ON THE LEFT SIDE.
- All purchases are TAX FREE.
- The biggest savings are on CAMERAS, JEWELRY, ALCOHOL& CIGARETTES. The savings really do make a purchase worthwhile.
- The BEST PRICES ON ALCOHOL are at K-MART.
- We are a daytime island. We have restaurants and bars for entertainment and there is one nightclub. It’s all about the water and sun and beauty.
- Downtown shops close at 5pm.
- The pace of the island is liesurely. We encourage you to relax and enjoy the experience.